Friday, January 9, 2015

5 Fandom Friday: Why I Hate Winter


I am changing up this week's 5 Fandom Friday prompt from The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space Chick. Instead of "My Favorite Things About Winter" I'm going with "Why I Hate Winter". Right now I am writing this as close to the heater as I can get without actually catching fire and I'm still bloody cold. Living in Oklahoma means extremes in weather. You might get one day of perfect Fall or Spring weather but that is it. More likely it will be negative temps one week then blistering hot the next. Tornadoes, floods, droughts, heat waves, blizzards, ice storms and lately a ton of freaking earthquakes. Yeah, earthquakes.
Since I am in a "I hate the cold" mood, here is my list of Why I Hate Winter

  1. The Cold- My floor furnace broke this year and I had to get one of those freestanding gas heaters. The way my ancient house is set up means that little to no heat gets to my bedroom. I have an electric blanket but it has a safe mode that turns it off after 10 or 12 hours. So sometimes I wake up curled in a freezing ball underneath the covers knowing that the only way to get warm again is to make a mad dash to the living room. But getting there means getting colder first. Dilemma. 
  2. Roads- I worry about the roads a lot. Especially for my family. I do not have a car right now so I don't drive much and I refuse to drive at all if there is ice or snow on the road. Too many times I have been in a car that went to stop and just kept sliding. I am sure my panicked screams really make it better. 
  3. Laundry- This one may seem odd, so let me explain. My laundry room is not attached to the house. It is attached to the garage and I have to go outside to get to it. Back when my mom used to live in this house she would sometimes have to dig a path through the snow to get to the laundry room. I am basically a groundhog and will not attempt it to do the laundry in the snow, ice or even if it's just really, really cold. This means there are times in the dead of winter that I will end up wearing shorts and tank tops because its better than going out there.
  4. Bad Time To Start A Diet- I have learned this the hard way. With it being so cold all I want is comfort and junk food. Also fresh fruit and veggies are harder to come by right now. There are always apples and bananas but damn it I want fresh peaches.
  5. 2007 Winter Ice Storm- Over a week without electricity. Everywhere. Luckily the roads were clear but trees everywhere had fallen and taken out power lines. It was so bad that electric workers from other states had to come here to help. It was the nice men from Georgia Power that got our electricity working. They literally had to go house to house to fix it. Over a week without being able to eat anything that didn't need to be refrigerated or cooked made me ill. That and no real heat. Also a giant tree fell on my car...
That being said I am not fond of Summer in Oklahoma either. It should always been Spring or Fall. If only we had Spring or Fall here ; )

6 comments:

  1. If I had to dig through snow to do laundry I would never do it! Totally understand your pain/hate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah I love how you changed the topic! That's what I should have done...I skipped this week because I am totally not loving winter right now :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks, it isn't too late you should write one.

      Delete
  3. OK I already hate doing laundry and if it was out of my house AND in the COLD, I would NEVER have clean clothes! You go girl! Stay warm!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I also use rain and extreme heat as excuses not to do laundry

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...