Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Halloween 2014 Begins: Pumpkin Earrings

After a rough September I am getting back into the blogging world. Thankfully it is October and I have Halloween to look forward to. Halloween is my all time favorite holiday. I love everything about it.
In that spirit I plan on having some kind of post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday this month. That is the goal so hopefully I can do it. The topics will be varied anything from crafts to Halloween favorites.
Its October the first so let's begin.

What is the first thing that pops into your head at the word "Halloween"?
While looking for some crafting things in my house I found a bunch of polymer clay. Halloween + polymer clay = Pumpkin earrings!

I had some orange, black and green clay. Perfect.
I rolled the orange into two balls and put them on head pins. Head pins are pieces of wire with either a small loop at the end or they are flat. I used the flat ones. 
Using a toothpick I made the grooves of the pumpkin.
Rolled out the black clay flat and cut out small triangles for the eyes. The mouth was made with just rolling out the black clay into a small rope and cutting it to size. Then pressed the eyes and mouths on the the pumpkins.
For the pumpkin stem I rolled the green clay thick and put it through the head pin then using the toothpicks I made grooves all around them.
With the tendrils I just twisted some of the green clay until it twisted around itself. 
Kinda looks like weird pigtails.
After that I just baked them in the oven on a piece of tile. The clay is non toxic but you do not want to bake it in anything you will want to use for food later.
A tile just seems to work best for me.

Pretty easy
I also had some white clay and made a vampire fang necklace. It looks good from the front but the back not so much. The head pin made the clay move and I did not notice it until after it was baked.
Oh well, I still like it.

Happy first day of October







No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...