Monday, October 20, 2014

My Love of The Walking Dead Scares Me

I didn't do anything special for this season's premier episode. No watch party, live tweeting or anything at all. After last season's finale all I could do was curl up on the couch in fearful anticipation.
The season premier reminded me why I have become obsessed with this show. I have never read the graphic novels. I really did not think this would be my kind of show. The only reason I even knew anything about it had to do with Attack of the Show and their coverage of SDCC before the series premier. So I watched it out of curiosity.
From the first episode on I was hooked. Even though it makes me anxious because anyone, ANYONE, can die in this series.

Which brings me back to last week's season primer. Spoilers if you have not caught up yet. The first few minutes my heart was pounding as some of our beloved characters were lined up for slaughter, literally. It was bloody and violent, but perfect in it's way. I don't know how anyone watching that for the first time could not feel fear that at least one of the main characters could die.

What makes me really invested in The Walking Dead is the character development and growth. Let's take Carol and Daryl for examples. Carol was the beaten down wife of a bastard in the first season. She lost her daughter in the second. (Where's Sophia?! She was there all along O__o) So what happens to her? She gets all bad ass. If I had not watched the series from the beginning I could not believe that they are the same person.
Now onto our beloved Daryl. The unexpected fan favorite and rightly so. Daryl starts off as a racist, antisocial hick trying to mimic his asshole older brother, Merle. Instead of growing worse in this dystopian world Daryl becomes a hero. He is protective of his new found family, but also caring and kind in a sometimes unwilling way. He opens up and becomes a better person. 
The scene between Daryl and Carol in this season's premier really show the change in their characters since the beginning. Carol is the strong savior, stoically greeting her lost group and Daryl is the one who shows his emotions, his relief and gratitude to see her alive. I believe that these characters are evolving beautifully, with one or two hiccups along the way of course. But they need to change, to adapt to survive. Some need to become stronger where as some need to open up and trust each other.     

For the second episode of the season I decided to make my dinner themed for the show. After watching it though, I regretted my choice a little.
I made Terminus Ribs, a Bloody Terminus Mary (no V8 so opted for red kool-aid for looks) and a Splattered Jello Brain for dessert.

After what happened to poor Bob I felt a little sick. It seems like any character who gets too optimistic will have something awful happen to them. Better watch out Carl.

I am really hating the Terminus Cannibals. They make the Walkers seem tame. And even though the Governor had fights to the death, he never ate the losers.
I have so many questions.
Is it so hard to capture a eat squirrels that humans seem to be a better choice of prey?
What about the human equivalent of mad cow disease? Wouldn't humans have an adverse reaction to eating human flesh?
And why don't they want the living human race to continue? If you eat your fellow living people eventually the live population will become completely extinct.

Okay done with that rant.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...