Monday, October 27, 2014

Nightmare Before X-Mas Nail Art

I love nail art.
My problem is that I am not very good at it. It could be because I don't have any nail art tools, I use random objects to see if they will work. It is more likely that I just lack any real skill to do nail art.
It has not stopped me from trying.
I wanted to make some Nightmare Before Christmas nail art for the Halloween season. Here are my attempts.

Jack Skeleton
Only when going through these photos did I realize how badly I needed to clean up around the nails. I am sorry if it looks distractedly awful
The black and white striped nails were pretty easy, I just used some scotch tape. The same with making the initial triangle for the Santa hat. For the Santa hat trim and topper I used a q-tip dipped in white nail polish.
I had problems with the actually drawing parts though. I used a tack, toothpick, needle basically anything that might work in lieu of a dotting tool.
The end result was okay, as long as nobody looked too closely.

Sally
After the difficult time I had drawing Jack Skeleton I opted for something a bit simpler for Sally.
On my thumb and index finger I used a light blue with black "stitches" to represent Sally's skin and I just swooshed some red over those for her hair.
The other nails are supposed to look like fabric from her dress. I stuck with plain colors without patterns mainly because I doubt I could have pulled those off.
I actually like how these came out. Even though I tried something different on the pinkie nail that did not work well in pics. On the overall not terrible.

Oogie Boogie 
This is where the whole idea for trying out Nightmare Before Christmas nail art came from. In the clearance section of Ulta I found OPI's Don't Talk Bach to Me and it just reminded me of Mr. Oogie Boogie.
I free handed Oogie's head the best I could. Kind of looked like I tried to paint a whipped cream dollop shape on my nail. On top of the nail color I put on a few layers of Glow-in-the-dark polish. Then I outlined and detailed in black nail polish with a toothpick. 
I really need to invest in some dotting tools

Of course these pictures barely pick up the glow-in-the-dark polish but believe me, it glowed. That night I was like a small child "Ohh it glows" when I should have gone to sleep.



2 comments:

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...