Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween Dessert Table

I love desserts
I love Halloween
It was obvious that I had to make some Halloween desserts. So pretty and oddly green

Ghost Meringues
I made these the day before we made everything else because they take time to bake and dry out.
I used my go-to recipe from here. I just like this recipe and it works really well. I always add some vanilla extract to this recipe. I used a baking bag and a large round piping tip to pipe the meringues into a ghostly dollop. For the eyes and mouths I just used some black food coloring gel and painted them on.
I made a bunch of these but not many made it into the top photo mainly because we snacked while making everything else. So good and crunchy.



Witchy Pretzel Fingers
I was at Michael's with my mom when we saw this witch finger mold. There was no doubt we had to try these out. This was the messiest thing we made, at least that day. Microwaving the candy melts and squeezing them into a mold, simple right? Nope!
Candy melt went everywhere. In the end we had to take a knife and pair down all the excess candy around the molded fingers.
They look really good though. 

Scream Egg Cupcakes
If my mom and I try something new, things tend to go a bit wrong. Its always fun though.
There are all of these recipes floating around on how to use Cadbury eggs in different ways. We thought cupcakes would be a pretty easy way to go. We just didn't factor how long to bake a cupcake that was mainly chocolate cover fondant.
When they first came out of the oven we cut one open and it was gooey and looked cool. But the cupcake itself wasn't actually done. So putting them back in for a few minutes more to fully cook the batter caused the fondant to crystallize.
Not horrible but very unexpected texture when biting into one. But hey, you cook, you learn.

In all, a very yummy and green dessert table.

2 comments:

  1. There go those eggs again! Why have I never seen them until now??!

    Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Halloween! :)

    -G

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...