Friday, April 8, 2016

5 Fandom Friday- Fandom Guilty Pleasures

The week's 5 Fandom Friday prompt is "Fandom Guilty Pleasures". I wasn't entirely sure how to go about this. So I hope this is what The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick are talking about.

1. Campy Films
Some of my all time favorite films are of the campy variety. Some have throughout the years attained a cult status like The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Clue. Others have flown beneath the radar and people have no clue what I am talking about like Logan's Run and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A good number of my guilty pleasure films are from the 80's such as Casual Sex?, Blue Lagoon and Krull.

2. Xena
In Junior High and perhaps into High School I was a huge Xena fan. I could even produce a pretty good warrior cry. This may have been one of the first fandoms I talked opening to people about. I know this because I have Xena birthday cards from family members and someone even bought me the soundtrack.
I have recently re-watched this on Netflix and I can't believe how obsessed I was with this show. I cringed throughout the entire series. Also, how many freakin' characters does Karl Urban play in this show? 5 or 6?!

3. Geeky Tees 
Most of the clothes that I own are actually nerdy graphic tees. For awhile I was pretty much getting one or two a month from different sites. My current favorite tee a day site is Teevillain because the quality of the tees are great. I have stopped myself from getting anymore lately because I am too poor and need a few "grown up outfits" but then TeeVillain will have a grab bag sell and I am sucked in again.


4. Movie Scores
I'm not only meaning the soundtracks that have actually song by bands. Although I have a few of those too. I don't think of those as a guilty pleasure. I'm meaning the orchestral ones. I blame this on being in band for years. There are just some film scores that give me the feels. Let's be honest, who hasn't heard the first notes of any Harry Potter film and known instantly that a Harry Potter film is playing.
I actually have quite a few favorite composers, like Jerry Goldsmith, Nino Rota, Murray Gold and Ernest Gold.

5. Musicals
    
I have a lot of musicals that I completely obsess over and people think I am a little weird. Currently in love with the musical Heathers. It takes everything from the 80's films and somehow makes it better. I like the character development more in the musical. 
Other musicals that I desperately love: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Titanic, Spring Awakening, Mamma Mia (not the movie version) Rent....well you kind of get it.


6 comments:

  1. Yessssss..... Musicals are totally making my list. I too am in love with Heathers. I just got to see a production in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! That is so great you got to see it.

      Delete
  2. Let's be honest, geeky tees are the best tees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add Repo! The Genetic opera to your list of awesome campy films, and it is set. Also works for your love of musicals, so bonus! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Repo! I have the soundtrack and even managed to get a tee from Hot Topic : )

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...