Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Home Remodel Hell and Netflix Binges

My 21 year old cat Kristy has taken over the scratching pad. "Its mine bitch"

I have been in the midst of the hell that is remodeling a bathroom.
Let me first explain some details about my house. It is a very old house created by a mad man.  
When we started trying to fix the kitchen two years ago I saw proof of this man's insanity. The walls were basically paper paneling with nothing behind for stability. But to make up for having walls that you could fall through this guy used concrete and bolts in everything else. Just to give an idea of how old and scary this house it, the electrical wiring was fabric. Fabric that was disintegrating.
How this house never caught on fire astounds me.
It took over a year to complete the kitchen. I lived off of fast food and things that could be microwaved because the oven and the fridge sat in my living room.

Which brings us to the bathroom. 
I knew I wanted to fix the bathroom as quickly as possible. 
I wanted a new toilet, floor and shower enclosure. I also wanted to fix the walls.

The problems included a freaking window in the bathtub/shower area. I mean come on man. Water and wood, not the best combination. Even if the man who built this house didn't have the shower included in the tub did he duck when getting out of the bath? Or did the neighbors just get an eye full. The window has been spray painted for years but it looked so tacky.
Then there was the floor. Ugly tile that I could not get clean. I would scrub but it always had this filmy look to it as if it were dirty.
The plumbing came from the twisted mind of that evil man.
The walls are plaster with a bunch of cracks.

But where there is a will, there is a way.
Before            After


Had the cabinet doors put back on today and now all it needs is a bit of touch up paint.
I am so happy with the results.
--------------------------------------------------
My Netflix Binge
On a completely different topic, I just barely managed to watch all six seasons of a really great show on Netflix before it expire.
I wish they would put long term expiration dates instead of around two weeks.
Between trying to watch the entire series and fixing my bathroom I feel like I lost a couple of weeks. 
Not saying it wasn't worth it though.
Just a mini rant.
Now I have to find a new project or Netflix obsession. 
~Eris




No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...