Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Alice Obsession

I love the Alice series. 
Alice in Wonderland  and Alice Through the Looking Glass
There is this appeal in the idea that walking through a mirror or falling down a rabbit hole could take a person into a fantastical world.
My love for this started with the Disney animated feature as well as the Disney live action TV show, Adventures in Wonderland.
To be perfectly honest, it was the television show that sold it for me. So perfectly 90's.
I believe I have seen every interpretation of these stories.
My two favorite are Alice Through the Looking Glass and Syfy's Alice
The first one has a grown up Kate Beckinsale as Alice and the story stays true the the second book. The second book is really my favorite of the two. It includes all the poems and the Chess game concept.
Syfy's Alice is a re-imaging of the story. It pulls from both books and adds to them. I liked how they took some of the well known characters and made them new. Alice and the Mad-Hatter especially. 
With all that said I didn't like the Tim Burton version. I really wanted to like it but something felt off about it. Kind of like it tried too hard.
Many years ago I bought the American McGee's Alice game for PC. It took me a few years after that to get a computer that it worked on. I love this game, I have not finished it and probably never will, but I love the visuals and feel to the game. So when the new version came out on Xbox360 I had to have it. I've had the Xbox a few months and finally got Alice: Madness Returns. I am so excited to play it but I am forcing myself to finish a few other games that I stopped in the middle of playing to get out of my bad gaming habit. I have a goal to get to this game and it will be all the better for waiting. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
As great as all of these versions are, the book still holds a special place for me. It is worth reading both of these stories. I have an old hardback copy that I think was once used to keep a table leg level because it has an indention right in the middle.
 Through the Looking Glass is filled with some great poems including the Jabbywoky.
My favorite poem, though, is A boat beneath a sunny sky.

~Eris

1 comment:

  1. I have seen so many American Mcgee's Alice cosplays lately. Such fantastic art.

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...