Monday, October 6, 2014

Making A "Frank" Mask

It's Monday. Time for another Halloween post. How about some cosplay fail.

There is a movie called Frank that I really wanted to see.
After watching the trailers all I wanted to do was make a Frank mask and wear it to see the movie.
Unfortunately I didn't finish it in time.
So instead of giving it up this may end up being my Halloween costume...at least one of them. 
Trying to figure out where to begin was a problem. Regular balloons are too small to make a mask that will go over the head.
To my delight my mom found some bouncing balloons. The ones that are attached to a rubber band and you punch it to annoy others.
It was the perfect size.
Then began the paper mache from hell.
I thought it was going well after the first few layers. It started to go south on me once I started on the details like the nose and ears.
So many layers to build up that nose and it still ended up too small.
When it came time to build up the hair I shredded a bunch of paper into tiny pieces and poured the flour and water mixture directly on the pieces and molded it up like a sticky wet clay.

After the mess of a mask dried I ended up being too busy to finish it. So it sat around in various places around the house to the shock of anyone that came over.
"What is that?" became a familiar phrase.
Because it was shuffled around quite a bit, the bottom lost it shape.
There was no way I was going to make that all over again so bring on the paint.

The painting was easier that I could have hoped for. I used the colors flesh, blue, white and brown.
It may be the weirdest thing I have ever made.

Could you imagine walking into the local indie movie theater and asking for a ticket like this?
I would have done it.
Instead I have to content myself with answering the door like this.
Trick or Treaters beware!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure how I missed this post.. This reminds me of the time I made a giant paper mache cat head. I used fur on the back and clay on the face. It looks cool but it's way too heavy to wear/breathe in. So now it just sits on top of my dressform. Yours looks cool, though! I googled the character and you got it down perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...