Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Slightly Obscure Movies for Valentine's Day

I watch the occasional romantic comedy or epic love story like anyone else, but they are not usually my go to romantic films. I have a tendency to watch movies that fall off the beaten track. 
Since Valentine's Day is coming up I made a short list of some of the odd romantic-esque films I have watched on Netflix. I am limiting this list to films currently available to stream on Netflix US. 

The love story is secondary to the main plot, but it weaves it way throughout the film. Honestly if you like Ewan McGregor you will like this film. McGregor plays a garden architect hired to create an outlandish garden however there are other motives at play. His love interest is the daughter of his employer who is thought to be mentally unstable. The cast includes Richard E. Grant, Pete Postlethwaite and Carmen Chaplin

2. TiMER
This was the first film I watched when I got Netflix.
I think of this as an alternate reality sci-fi film. Imagine our world with one small difference: An optional implantable clock that tells you, to the day, when you will meet your soul-mate. Basically an app that tells your future.
Emma Caulfield plays Oona, a woman whose TiMER has yet to sync up with her future soul-mate. The question of free will and fate play a big part in the movie. 

Asia Argento and Jared Harris star as unlikely lovers in this romantic thriller. Harris plays a rather boring school teacher and part time radio jockey. Argento plays the sexy B. Monkey, a thief who is ready to get out of the life of crime.
Rupret Everett and Jonathan Rhys Meyers play important secondary characters from B's criminal life.

I really like Scott Speedman (Felicity and Underworld hottie) which is the only reason I initially paid any attention to this film. I thought that Evan Rachel Wood's baby voice was going to be too much for me. As the film continues the baby voice makes sense, she is essentially just an innocent who has never interacted with anyone but her mother. Hence the childlike voice.
Speedman's character starts off as a bit of a jerk but it's Scott Speedman so who cares.
In the end this is a really sweet film about two messed up people that help each other grow up.

The wild card choice.
A German film about a married police officer that is seduced by a fellow police officer.
Not your typical Valentine's Day fare, but an interesting story. Max Riemelt, who is also in my favorite vampire film We Are The Night, plays Kay who seduces Hanno Koffler's Marc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...