Friday, June 5, 2015

Tony Awards Cookies

The Tony Awards show is my favorite awards show. I love musical theatre and this is the closest to a Broadway Show that I get to see. Because of the Tony Awards I found some of my favorite musicals even though I have never been able to see them performed live. 
Last year I made a Tony Awards menu that was pretty easy to make. Last year's nominees made it a breeze to come up with ideas...Thank you Hedwig!
This year has been a bit more difficult. Because I am not having an actually Tony Party I wanted something that could be made ahead and would not be expensive.
Cookies it is!
Since a number of nominees this year either had something to do with royalty or occurred in a time period named after a sovereign (Victorian) I decided to make crown cookies with these royals' names written on them. And of course some drama mask cookies because this is the Tonys.
I used an oval shape cookie cutter for the masks and cut a semi-circle shape from the top. Withe the crowns I used a cupcake cookies cutter and cut out a shallow semi-circle from the bottom to give it a hat like shape.  

Since I cannot bake or cook without something going wrong I could not find my most used icing tip and the "gold" icing turned bright orange. That was when I knew that this project was turning into a Pinterest Fail.
Yup, it started to go wrong fast.
I used a buttercream frosting that I made from scratch for these instead of royal icing. The buttercream does not go on as smooth but it taste better. Just powered sugar, water, vanilla and shortening. Not remotely healthy.
Welp there they are.
One each of the crowns I wrote a King or Queen's name from one of the nominee plays or musicals.
  • King Henry- Wolf Hall
  • King of Siam- The King and I
  • Queen Elizabeth- Queen during the Musical Something Rotten
  • Queen Victoria- Queen during The Elephant Man
This went wrong but they taste great.
The Tony Awards will air this Sunday on CBS. I'll will most likely be live tweeting on Twitter. Catch me there @eris_discord42




2 comments:

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...