Friday, April 25, 2014

Literary Fixation: Jane Austen, Part 1

I've been thinking about doing a weekly blog post about books.
A virtual book club/review/rant 
I figure the best place to start is with Jane Austen

I have read all of her novels multiple times and truly enjoy the Regency world she wrote about.
To begin this I am starting with my least liked book and building up to my favorite through the upcoming weeks. 


Emma
How do I say this...I hate Emma. 
She is a snotty, spoiled and sometimes rude character that every other character thinks so highly of. Looking through the book again I cannot really find a redeeming moment for her. One would expect that by the end of the book she would have evolved or learned some lesson, but that doesn't happen.
In fact I think she gets worse as the book progresses. 
There is only one other character that equals her level of annoyance and that is her father. He is more spoiled than Emma and makes everyone accommodate him.
And Mr. Knightly, ugh, he is also above everyone else in his opinion. I can understand him vocally disproving of the things Emma does, but they are both snotty characters.
They really deserve each other.

Let me get away from the things that I didn't like and get more positive.
Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax.
I liked their characters and story lines much better.
They are made out to be the bad couple, playing games and deceiving those around them. Yet they are the more interesting couple.

Emma thinks of Jane as a goody-goody because she is actually polite and seems genuinely kind.
I would love to have read a book about Frank and Jane. They may have not been right in the way their love affair was played out, but its more exciting and romantic. A clandestine romance is always intriguing.

And the Bates (mother and daughter)
I believe that everyone has family members or old family friends like these two. 


Emma is the one novel of Jane Austen's that is always hard for me to read. I like to root for the main character but Emma is not worth it. That isn't to say it is not worth reading. 

Not the best way to start a weekly blog post, but I want to build up to the Austen novel I love the most.


Next week Northanger Abbey 
~Eris



No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...