Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Adventures in Gardening: Part 1

Getting The Plants
Every year I think about getting a garden put together. Some flowers, herbs and maybe a few fruit plants too. Yet every year it just never happens.
This year will be different.

The Sand Springs Herbal Affair
My hometown has an annual festival that is perfect for getting plants to start a garden. It is the biggest event this sleepy suburban town has. It draws in a pretty big crowd. Besides the stands selling various plants there are crafts, tons of food and even play areas for kids. I go to this almost every year...they have pineapple whips.

Unfortunately by the time I made it there some of the plant stands were pretty well picked through. I did manage to get some basil, mint, cilantro and strawberries. The flower plants looked pretty grim. I could not find milkweed anywhere.

Cue a short road trip to the local plant farm- Riddles. 
We went to Riddles Plant Farm after leaving the Herbal Affair. We were on a quest for tomatoes and flowers. Alas, we were not the only ones to come up with this idea. The place was packed. I just managed to grab the last milkweed plant they had. Check out my reasons for wanting milkweed HERE on a previous post.

It has been a long time since I've gone to this plant farm. I ended up getting a decent start for my butterfly garden there. Also my mom found the tomato plants she want.
In all a pretty good haul. Once the weather clears up a bit I will start working on the garden proper. I still want to find some more milkweed. 
The quest continues... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...