Friday, March 6, 2015

Save the Monarch Butterflies


Despite the blizzard conditions most of us are in right now, Spring will be here soon. With Spring comes the migration of the Monarch butterflies. Each year the population of these beautiful creatures decreases.
The most important plant to the life cycle of the monarch butterflies is Milkweed. They lay their eggs on these plants. As I have been researching on ways to help the monarchs I came across something I did not ever think about. Some Milkweed species are causes these creatures to get parasites. The solution is finding the right Milkweed plants that are native to your area and do not stay green year round.
Check out this site for some ideas: Native Wildlife Garden
Personally I think that after finding the right Milkweed plants for your area it would be a great idea to make a butterfly garden. A place in or around your yard that you can plant different flowers including the milkweed and keep it insecticide free. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have my own reasons for wanting to save the monarchs. When I was little, my dad walked to my elementary school to pick me up and found an injured monarch butterfly on the way there. He scooped it up and we brought it home. 
I had just watched the microfilm lesson on monarchs in school that week.
(Please say I am not the only person who remembers microfilm lessons with the accompanying cassette tape that told you when to move to the next slide.)
Everyday I gathered flowers and had a plate of water laid out for the butterfly. Its wing was slightly torn and it was unable to fly but it could walk easily.
I think it was a week later that this little fighter started climbing up the lace curtains and started flying again. Once it was able to fly pretty well we took it outside to where some wildflowers were growing in the yard and let it go.
I cannot say for certain that it survived but I hope it did.
Around this time I was all about Captain Planet and Ferngully so I wanted to save the world. Maybe I did. 
It only takes small acts by many people to change the world for the better.

Now is the time that you can help. It only takes a little time away from games and social media to look up ways to start a healthy butterfly garden. And once the weather gets better wouldn't it be great to have a project to take you outside in the fresh air for a few minutes to an hour to do something good.
Another site to get you started:
 http://www.saveourmonarchs.org/

If you have any ideas or suggestions about ways to help the Monarch Butterflies please leave a comment below.

Picture adapted from wiki commons
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BBGMonarchButterflyWings.jpg






No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...