Friday, September 9, 2016

Netflix Picks- September 2016

For this month's Netflix picks I am choosing movies from the 1980's in honor of my birthday.
Unfortunately a lot of films that I love from the 1980's are not streaming on Netflix; Blue Lagoon, Labyrinth, Casual Sex?, Clue... but here are a few that I think are pretty good.

To Be or Not To Be (1983)
Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft star as a Jewish married couple who are stage actors in Poland when WWII starts. The movie is funny while hinting at the reality of what the Jews faced in WWII. Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft's chemistry is delightful, you can tell they enjoyed working together. And baby Tim Matheson is adorable as a soldier with a crush on Bancroft's character.

The Princess Bride (1987)
If you have never seen The Princess Bride you have missed out. It combines everything needed for an entertaining film. You have romance, adventure, sword fighting, kidnapping, evil royals and Billy Crystal.
Trust me.
Have fun storming the castle!

A Room With A View (1985)
This is not for everyone.
I happen to like costume dramas with that epic scenic feel. If you like Downton Abbey you may enjoy this. Bonus is a younger Maggie Smith as the dowdy chaperone. 

Hairspray (1988)
Most people think John Travolta and Zac Efron when the title Hairspray appears. Heh NOPE! John Waters original film is delightfully odd. Debbie Harry and Sonny Bono play the parents of the mean "Amber". The actress playing "Amber" later went on to be Vitamin C, you know the singer who sang that graduation song.
That is just the beginning of the strangeness of this movie
* At one point I tried to tease my cousin's hair like the girls in the movie, bad idea.

The Super Mario Bros Super Show (1989)
I remember watching this as a kid. Of course I had a nintendo system and played Mario games (and Duck Hunt). Still one of the strangest shows I can remember. But it brings back all the feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...