Friday, June 3, 2016

Netflix Picks- June 2016

A new month and some new Netflix picks.
This month I choose three semi-cult films. These have not reached the cult status of say Rocky Horror (LOVE that film).
Remember that these suggestions are currently on Netflix US but they could leave soon.

Aeon Flux
If you grew up in the 90's you might remember the animated version of Aeon Flux on MTV. This is the sci-fi thriller film adaptation. It stars Charlize Theron as Aeon. It is set in a future Utopian city where the rest of Earth as been basically destroyed. Even though they live an idyllic life, something isn't right in this world. Que rebel warrior Aeon Flux as she discovers the truth behind this false Utopia.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I have been a big fan of Kate Winslet since Heavenly Creatures which is why I initially watched this. What always surprises me is how good an actor Jim Carey can be when he is not being over the top. When he reacts to the weirdness around him instead of contributing he is brilliant (See The Truman Show for another example).
The interesting thing about this film is that it isn't really linear. A good clue is to pay attention to Kate's hair color to figure out the time frame (if that makes sense).
Basically this is about what could happen when you have the option to completely erase someone from your memory. Is it really worth it?

Queen of the Damned
I have loved the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice since before should have been allowed to read them. Lestat is my favorite but Tom Cruise's version just didn't work for me. Lestat in this film is closer to my Lestat. The music is great (I have the soundtrack). And Aaliyah was fantastic as the Queen.

These are my picks this month. Tell me if you watched any of them and what you think.
Also I would love to know if there is anything you would like to recommend to me. I'm always looking for something new to watch


4 comments:

  1. Queen of the Damned is on my watchlist. Of course, I'm seriously behind...maybe I need to have a lazy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'm looking forward to the new season of Peaky Blinders on Netflix as well as the film Cold in July that's got great rating on Rotten Tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaky Blinders has been in my queue for awhile, I must watch this

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...