Friday, November 7, 2014

TV Shows That Should Have Had Another Chance

With current TV shows now facing cancellation it brings to mind the variety of past television shows that I wish had gotten another go.

Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)
I loved this show. It was whimsical, odd and funny. The whole look and feel of the show made it seem like a different world. Bright and cheerful even with the running theme of death. The cast was amazing. This was my introduction to Lee Pace, Thank You Pushing Daisies, Thank You. Plus Anna Friel's Chuck and Kristin Chenoweth's Olive as the women vying for the love of Pace's Pie Maker were perfect. Each episode had a fairy-tale like quality mixed with a whodunit setup. The series had a quick wrap up but it was unsatisfying. So many loose ends especially how did Chuck and the Pie Maker finally get to touch?  On a personnel note: Chenoweth is from Oklahoma and I got to meet her once at a book signing. Stood in line for almost six hours but worth it.

The Unusuals (2009)
I bet ABC regretted cancelling this show once Jeremy Renner's career really took off. This Amber Tamblyn led series was a take on the many cop and investigations shows that crowd the schedules of most networks. How many NCISs and Law and Orders have there been? This was about the oddball cops while still keep some dramatic aspects of being a cop to keep it from being a pure comedy show.
What I remember most about this was Jeremy Renner's character. I am not sure how well this show would have done in the long run but with only ten episodes it doesn't seem like it had a fair shot.

Joan of Aracdia (2003-2005)
Amber Tamblyn has not had a good run with television. This show made it two season before cancellation, just when a potential villain arrived. It managed to be a show with god as a recurring character without making it a religious show. And how cute was young Jason Ritter?! What really gets me is that it was replaced by Ghost Whisperer which lasted 5 season. Really? I could not stand that series, but to each their own...I guess.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-2009)
Let me just say that I love the first two Terminator films and that I have despised the other films. Which is why this was the perfect series for me. It picks up right where the second movie ends. Lena Headey is great as Sarah Connor and River Glau makes a pretty damn good terminator sent to protect Thomas Dekker's John Connor. Also a featured terminator, Shirley Freakin Manson from Garbage
This series was clever, intelligent and had some decent action. A very good follow up to some great movies. So of course when John Connor time times to the future it gets cancelled. 

The Middleman (2008)
I remember liking this series and being bummed out when it was cancelled but it has been so long since I've seen it that it's a little hazy. It was a about a straight laced suit and tie guy whose job is to solve strange problems. It mainly followed his new recruit Wendy as she navigated her life as a artist and as the future Middleman. I need to find this series again and watch it again. 

Firefly (2002)
I still cannot believe that this only lasted one season. This series has such a massive following gained since cancellation that it seems like it could have been a huge hit if FOX had given it more seasons.
 Instead of leaving us with some slapped together end or the dreaded cliff hanger, Firefly got the opportunity to bow out with a film, Serenity, that was fitting for our rag tag group of Browncoats. I would have loved to have had the series continue but I am happy with the film.

Anything With James Van Der Beek That Isn't Dawson's Creek
I was not a Dawson's Creek fan, just wasn't my thing. But I adore James Van Der Beek when he is playing comedic roles. Unfortunately each time he gets a comedy series it gets cancelled.
The B in Apt 2B: He played a funny, possible fictional, version of himself. He was my favorite part of that show. Cancelled
Friends With Better Lives: This show suffered from trying to cash in on current fads such as Hashtags. In fact it was promoted as #FWBL. Never a good sign. But Van Der Beek's newly single gynocologist was funny. Also Majandra Delfino and Zoe Lister-Jones were a joy to watch. This show didn't even make it a full season.

Are there any show that you wish had a reprieve from cancellation?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

After blogging so much last month I am probably only going to post once a week this month and maybe next month too. Unless of course there is something amazing I want to write about. I'll try and post every Friday.

4 comments:

  1. I was super into Caprica (Battlestar Galactica prequel) and was SO irritated when SyFy pulled the plug on it. The ending was lame and rushed and what grates me the most is that SyFy will spend money making stupid movies about shark tornadoes but didn't bother to make Caprica longer/better... Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SyFy use to have some great TV programming but they gave it up around the time BSG ended. Hopefully with the current shift towards good TV shows they may finally learn that their constant sequels to D movies are not working. Also I need to watch Caprica, loved BSG

      Delete
  2. I loved Joan of Arcadia! I thought the concept was unique and I like Amber Tamblyn as an actress.

    I was really sad when Freaks and Geeks got cancelled. NBC screwed up big time with that one, but those actors are doing pretty awesome now. More recently, I was sad that Almost Human got cancelled after just one season. The idea of the show was pretty cool, and any excuse to watch Karl Urban weekly was greatly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karl Urban, I would watch anything to see him. Almost Human was a really interesting show, networks need to give programming the time to attract the right audience

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...