Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Placebo Addiction...The British Band


To explain how Placebo became my favorite band is a bit of a winding road. The film Velvet Goldmine has been a favorite of my since High School. It ties into my life long love affair with David Bowie. I have the film on DVD and watched it dozens if not hundreds of time. The band that Christian Bale's character befriends was always a favorite of mine. I never thought that they were a real band. Oh Brian Molko, you with you sparkly top hat and feather boa.
I was working in my incredibly boring job (and watching youtube videos) when I stumbled across the video of Bowie and Placebo playing Without You I'm Nothing. This resulted in an obsessive search for this band called Placebo. I watched their videos and fell madly in love with their music.
This was a strange period in my life. I had just finished community college and started working at the same college. I was disappointed and angry at the world because it seemed no matter what I did I never managed to succeed.
I was floundering.
It seems to me that the right things happen at the right time.
There I was, feeling lost and alone, when Placebo entered my life. Specific songs seemed to express what I was feeling. Trite I know.
I ordered the first three albums right away. I listened to one album a month to fully throw myself into it. Plus I had a new album each month to look forward to. I did this with all of their cds.
I have also made most of my friends listen to Placebo. I am such a vocal fan of this band.

I was supposed to see them in concert a few years ago when they were going to tour the USA. I ordered tickets to the Dallas show the moment they went on sell. I managed to convince my friend, Regan, to go with me...and drive us. It would have been a pretty long drive since we were to drive from North Eastern Oklahoma. This never happened since Brian Molko got sick in Japan before the USA tour started. The other tour they had in the States never made it anywhere close to where I could get to. One day!

And the reason I am writing this post today is because Placebo is involved in how I started this blog. It was Placebo's Loud Like Love TV special on YouTube that really introduced me to youtubers. I originally wanted to make a YouTube channel before I changed my mind and decided to write a blog. Kind of strange how those all fit together for me. 
Placebo inspires me. I started playing guitar again after I first started listening to them.
They make me happy.
So I am sharing the happiness with anyone who wants to listen to them.
Take the chance. Each album has its on voice.

2 comments:

  1. I love how music and their creators influence and inspire us. I picked up the guitar because of A Silent Film and I've also met some amazing friends through them. Music has inspired and made my life. I cannot imagine not having it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You play guitar too?! I'm going to have to look up A Silent Film now

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...