Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Literary Fixation: My Booky Wook


I think Russell Brand is a pretty good comedian. I really enjoyed him and Noel Fielding on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year. Thank you Youtube!
His biography has been on my "To Be Read List" for awhile and with my break from classes I finally had the chance to read it.

It started out pretty good. His writing style is humorous and peppered with slang that reminds me of A Clockwork Orange. 
The first part concerning his childhood and beginnings in acting school are pretty interesting and flow fairly well.
Once he starts writing about his years on drugs is when he starts to lose me.
The timeline isn't really linear and it is overall chaotic. Which you can argue is a good representation on being on drugs. 
I honestly wanted to skip most of these passages. While chaotic, they were also repetitive.
Some of the stories he mentions are just so uncomfortable. I do not know how he managed to survive this period of his life.
Another downside for me was the place where it ended. He did not really talk about his experiences after the drug years. I became aware of him after he did his stint in rehab. I think he is an interesting actor and I would have like to have read about his work on the films he has been in since then.
I will not say this is a bad book. It was a truthful and interesting account of his life with an emphasis on what his world was like during his drug fueled years.
I now feel the need to re-watch the old Big Fat Quiz videos. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...