Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ghostbusters 2016 Review

My mom and I went to see the female led Ghostbusters. There probably will be spoilers from here on.
----------------------------

Having grown up with the original Ghostbusters films as well as the cartoon version (I am still looking for the damned Ecto Cooler that was supposed to come out this summer) I was a little unsure of this film. My biggest concern wasn't a female cast but of casting any other actor or actress to play the same exact roles as the original actors. I didn't want to watch anyone try and play "Bill Murray" if you get what I mean.
I am pleased to say that this film didn't do that.
There wasn't a "Female Ray" or anything like that. Instead they cast truly funny actresses and wrote well rounded (for a comedy) characters that are not just rehashed characters from the original films.
Kristin Wiig's semi straight-laced Erin is the first character introduced and what I liked best is that Wiig made her funny without going over the top. With four comedic actress leading this picture there needed to be a balance in the comedy. Most of her funniest parts are almost dry in their delivery. Her lusting after Chris Hemsworth really speaks to a few people, my mom included.
Honestly I liked all the main characters. Melissa McCarthy's Abby balances enthusiasm with science know how. Leslie Jones' Patty gets to be the over the top character because she can deliver a character like that and still be relatable. Most of the big laughs in the theater were for her. But my main love is for Kate McKinnon. I have been a fan of McKinnon since The Big Gay Sketch Show. Her Jillian stole scenes with less dialog then the other actress, but she doesn't need to say anything to be funny. My personal highlight, the DeBarge blowtorch-fire-fire extinguisher dance. Of course I must mention Chris Hemsworth's Kevin. It is great to see an actor like him embrace the ridiculous dimness of his character and play with it. The dancing scene during the credits was fantastic. Such a pretty man.
This Ghostbusters embraces the past movies without trying to remake them. All of the living original Ghostbusters actors have cameos including Sigourney Weaver and Annie Potts. They all play different characters from the original films. Which I like. It adds to the film for people that loved the first films but doesn't take away anything from the new characters. There is also a tribute to the late Harold Ramis, he is seen as a bust behind Charles Dance's character at the college towards the beginning of the film. And not to be left out Slimer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man show up too.
The plot itself is entertaining and well paced. It never felt like it was dragging. I don;t want to write a full synopsis here but I will say that despite being a comedy it does manage to have an endearing moment or two.
Conclusion: I thought this was an entertaining film. It introduces fun new Ghostbusters but gives a few nods and winks to the past films.     

2 comments:

  1. I used to love Ghostbusters as a child, but I haven't seen them in years, so they aren't fresh in my memory. But this remake looks fun. I wasn't a huge fan of Jurassic World (because I ADORE Jurassic Park), but it was mainly due to the writing/acting. At least this Ghostbusters reboot looks like it has a great cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they cast this well. They are all funny actresses but they are so different in their comedic styles.

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...