Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Finding IAMX

I have written about bands and artists who I love before, Placebo and Bowie. Today I want to just take a few minutes to tell you about IAMX.

I discovered IAMX during that angsty transition between High School and for me Community College. 
I was still hanging out occasionally with my "friends" from High School. (I put that in parenthesis because in retrospect many of my High School friends treated me badly all under the guise of friendship.) I had gotten into the University I wanted to go to but I ended up not going because I couldn't afford it, hence community college bound I was.
Now you can kind of figure out the mindset I was in when I stumbled across the sneak preview site for IAMX's debut cd.

I scoured Tulsa for this cd once it came out. I had at least one person hang up on me for asking for the cd "Kiss and Swallow".
Chris Corner's voice is so beautiful. I would highly recommend checking out his music with the Sneaker Pimps too. With IAMX he takes a more, for lack of a better word, Techno approach. Yet the lyrics are so moving. As someone angry at the word at 19-20 Kiss and Swallow just pulled me in and took me away.

There is a darkness to some of IAMX's songs. I Die After Every Party, Naked But Safe and Your Joy Is My Low spring to mind.
IAMX continues with each album to experiment with darkness, glitter, pain and joy.
And while I have enjoyed every album released so far, Kiss and Swallow will always be my favorite. It is the soundtrack to the start of my turbulent adulthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...