Friday, April 22, 2016

5 Fandom Friday- Nerdy Hobbies People Don't Consider Nerdy

It is 5 Fandom Friday time thanks to The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick . This week is "Nerdy Hobbies People Don't Consider Nerdy". Oddly I found this difficult to figure out. I feel like any hobby could easily be turned nerdy. 

1.Baking
For at least the past 5 years every birthday I have had has been Nerdy. A Tardis, Harley Quinn, Logan's Run and Hunger Games.
It is so easy to look for recipes from your favorite books, such as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, and actually come up with full menus.
We have come a long way Julia Childs.

2. Quilting
I make baby quilts for friends and family. I do not enjoy this mainly because I haven't a clue what I am doing. My Great-Aunt Nina used to make all the quilts for my family and then her daughter took over. Somehow now I am the quilt maker.
But if you take a look around on Pinterest or some Geeky Crafting blogs you will find that some people are using quilts as a medium for all things geeky. I have seen Doctor Who quilts and my favorites, the pixel quilts featuring old school game characters like Mario and Link.

3. Nail Art
Most people think of nail art as just a way of making beautiful designs on your nails.
This is true but you can also make beautiful geeky designs as well. Again check out Pinterest for some fantastic nerdy designs.
You can easily play around with these. I have made Mighty Boosh nails and Avengers nails. Not an expensive hobby either. Most of the time you can get some good nail polish for a dollar.

4. Knitting and Crochet
I don't knit or crochet but there are lots of geeks out there that do. Who else would crocheted Amigurumi. Only true nerds would spends so much time on this adorable and detail little figures.

5. Cross-Stitch
Take a look at Sublime Stitching's website. Cross-stitching isn't just for Jane Austen heroines anymore. More and more geektastic patterns are popping up on etsy.  


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE creating nerdy menus. I actually just did a Game Of Thrones inspired menu for my blog over the weekend. So much fun. Learning how to crochet is next on my list; I am always so envious when I see cute Amigurumi that other people have done.

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...