Friday, April 15, 2016

5 Fandom Friday- Fandoms You Love But Didn't Think You Would

This week's 5 Fandom Friday from The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick is "Fandoms You Love But Didn't Think You Would". 

1. Marvel
This one may come as a shock for anyone who follows me here or on other social media. I really didn't get into the whole Marvel Universe until after The Avengers started playing on HBO or Starz or something like that. I really liked it and started going through the previous films (still do not care for the Iron Man films because I just don't like Gwyneth Paltrow). 
By the time Captain America: Winter Soldier came out I was a full fledged Marvel fan. 

2.Stargate
One of my first fandoms was one that I overlooked for years. I think I mistook it for a military show instead of a sci-fi show. Luckily I am a James Spader fan and one day watched the original film. Then I realized I was missing out. I managed to slowly buy all the DVDs and catch up to the series. In fact I wore camo capris to my first Trek Expo. This was before I even knew about cosplay.

3. Outlander
I had the first book given to me but I never read it. I had it on my book shelf for years before I eventual traded it in to a used book store. Cut to many years later and the Starz series comes out. Well hello Jamie Fraser!
After seeing the first series I went out and bought the books.
I love that is it part historical fiction and science-fiction. Also having a strong female lead, like Claire, is something I really like in series. The whole damsel in distress is so overdone.
Unfortunately I had to discontinue Starz and HBO this year and I will not get to see the new season anytime soon. I am on Jamie withdrawal.  

4. Downton Abbey
I am still not certain how I managed to miss the first few seasons of Downton Abbey. I watch PBS fairly regularly. It seems like the rest of the world was talking about this show but I never watched it.
I eventually rectified this mistake and managed to enjoy all the majestic glory that is Maggie Smith with the rest of the world.

5. Game of Thrones 
I never read the books. I had no idea what this show was about. But the build up was so big and everyone was talking about it so I thought I would watch an episode or two and see what all the fuss was about.
By the end of the first season I was hooked. Now I consider Arya my spirit animal.
Again I won't get to watch this season because I don't have HBO right now. Excuse me while I go and cry.





1 comment:

  1. I need to try to get back into Downton Abbey. Everyone I know loves it, but I was kind of apathetic after season 1.

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...