Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Some Lesser Known Musicals Films

I was going through my dvds looking for something fun to watch since the weather has been messing up my cable and internet (No Netflix?!?). While perusing my offbeat collection I realized I have some weird and wonderful gems that I would like to share. Here are three Musical films that you may want to check out.

A musical spoof on the anti-drug film from the 1930's. This film has an amazing cast, including Kristen Bell long before Frozen. It is funny, over the top and the cast can actually sing. Take all that and add Alan Cummings as a druggie goat man seducing Christian Campbell's fresh faced Jimmy in an "orgy" musical number. 



Don't let Paris Hilton being in this film turn you away. She is actually well cast, even if it pains me to admit it. I think if you like Rocky Horror you will like this musical. It has a pretty good cast including the legendary Sarah Brightman and Buffy's Anthony Stewart Head. My favorite character has to be the Grave Robber who acts as a de facto narrator. Best song: 21st Century Cure.

Not Kenneth Branagh's best interpretation of Shakespeare (that honor goes to Much Ado About Nothing...or maybe Hamlet). This musical uses old standards by Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Ira Gershwin, etc, to tell Shakespeare's story set in the late 1930's. The idea is interesting but the execution just doesn't work for it. With that said the music is great and the cast gives it everything they got. No phoning it in here. It is still worth watching if you like songs from The Great American Songbook and/or Shakespeare. Plus it has Nathan Lane, which doesn't hurt.


I do love my eclectic dvd collection.






2 comments:

  1. Fun list! I work in a performing arts theatre so I am OBSESSED with musicals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun job. I'm pretty much obsessed with musicals too : )

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...