Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Wanna Be French: Easy Pain au Chocolat

I was flipping through my copy of Joy Of Cooking, looking for a simple sweet recipe, when I saw the Pain au Chocolat recipe and I was taken back to my High School French class. I wanted to make these. It called for making croissant dough from scratch. As much as I like made from scratch baked goods and such, time can be a bitch.
Thus I made a few substitutions for Easy Pain au Chocolat.
Ingredients:
About a cup of chocolate chips
Croissant or Crescent rolls
An egg and water for an egg wash
optional: Plain or Vanilla sugar 
First I chopped the chocolate chips into smaller pieces. I used a knife and a cutting board but it would have been a piece of cake with a chopper.
I then rolled out the can of crescent rolls. The can makes 8 rolls but for this I left two crescent rolls together so they formed a rectangle.
At one end sprinkle a line of the chocolate. Then roll it over and add another line of chocolate. Before rolling it all the way to the end I used an egg wash to make sure it would stay together while baking. 
I also brushed the egg wash over the tops after they were rolled up and added a sprinkle of vanilla sugar. Plain sugar would work fine, I just happened to have vanilla sugar.
The result: A flaky pastry with a gooey chocolate center. 
My mom said they were better cold.
The roll itself seemed a tad too buttery for me but the bit of sugar on top helped to cancel it out.
I believe I would try this again. They looked great and didn't need a lot of ingredients. 




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pretty good really, even if they were a bit on the buttery side lol

      Delete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...