Friday, December 5, 2014

5 Fandom Friday: My Favorite Holiday Songs To Spread Cheer

This week's 5 Fandom Friday is all about Holiday songs. Check out amazing ladies behind Fandom Fridays: The Nerdy Girlie and SuperSpaceChick 

After spending one holiday season as a retail worker, some holiday music can cause physical pain to me. For example; Wham's Last Christmas makes me grind my teeth. I still have horrible flashbacks of my time on the front line of seasonal employment. Bad holiday music on repeat, the stench of too many lotions and candles and the cruelty of customers. There were tears.
Finding five holiday songs that I like takes a bit of effort but here is what I still enjoy.

1. Bing Crosby and David Bowie- The Little Drummer Boy/ Peace on Earth
It's not so much the songs that I like but that it's David Bowie. I have been in love with him since I can remember, literally. Anything he sings I will like. Amazing voice


2. Bobby Helms- Jingle Bell Rock
The reason I like this song is that it is featured in one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. Casual Sex? Before you gasp and think "you watched a movie called THAT as a child?!" you need to know what a funny and oddly sweet movie it is. Don't let Andrew Dice Clay throw you off, he is rather good in it. 
My mom and I still play the "There's your boyfriend" game.

3. Judy Garland- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Just so pretty. Her voice is sad but strong. A classic

4. Josh Groban- A Christmas Song
Basically he could sing anything and it would be amazing. I almost went with Believe from The Polar Express but that one is a bit sad after seeing the movie. Also I love his version of Charlie Chaplin's Smile

5. Christmas Is All Around- From Love Actually soundtrack
It was this or the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation theme. I choose this one because despite my jaded heart this movie makes me have all the feels. And picturing the brilliant Bill Nighy dancing makes me happy.

11 comments:

  1. Judy Garland is one of my faves. And it's surprising that Crosby ans Bowie work so well together. That's a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you hear the emotion when Judy sing : )

      Delete
  2. We chose 2 songs the same, The Little Drummer Boy and Jingle Bell Rock! I actually love A Christmas Song, although I've never heard of Josh Groban until now. He has a lovely voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your picks, especially #1!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bowie <3

    I always feel bad for anyone who works in a store that has Christmas music playing, because you know they have to listen to it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to tune most of them out except Wham's Last Christmas. That one still gives me B&BW flashbacks ; P

      Delete
  5. Love the combo of David Bowie and Bing Crosby. Have you heard any of the stories about that meeting/filming?
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that Bowie didn't like the song, Little Drummer Boy, that's why it became this combo. But it is perfect : )

      Delete
  6. 1st time hearing the David/Bing duo and LOVE it!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Faux Foodie- Eton Mess

Since life is strange right now, I have nothing relevant to post right now... so instead a re-post/edit of one of my favorite desserts ...